Friday, July 10, 2009

A Visual Tour of Berkeley (Well, San Francisco, Really) Part 2

Never, ever go to Fisherman’s Wharf on the Fourth of July. I let an old friend from high school talk me into it, and man. Between the hour spent looking for parking, the hour-long waits at every single restaurant, and the twenty-minute line at the restroom, it leaves one wondering how the entire population of the Bay Area has managed to squeeze into a space about the size of three blocks. We had a good time, though. I got to try sharkmeat (It’s like tuna but without the fishiness; that is to say, extremely mild. It would be good with horseradish.) and we saw some pretty sweet fireworks.

And I managed to get some cool shots of the carousel at the end of the wharf:




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog (through Shelfari book site), and I thought I'd say Hi. I too live in Northfield, and that's the connection. I'm also a writer with a novel due to hit the bookstands by the end of the year. My genre is historical fiction.

Which college are you attending?

Check out my blog at http://theliberalspirit.com

Margaret Taylor said...

Hi!

I'm going to Carleton. Thanks for the link to your blog; it's thought-provoking.

What's the title of your book?

Anonymous said...

The novel is religious fiction. Paul the Apostle is the main character, and the storyline is his ongoing struggle with James, the brother of Jesus. The novel will shake up literal minded Christians a bit especially since I treat Paul as a self-loathing gay man.

In his letter to the Romans, Paul says, I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?


The novel title derives from this passage -- A WRETCHED MAN, a novel of Paul the Apostle.

Thanks for asking.