Saturday, May 31, 2008

Noooooo! Or, always back up your files

It's been an incredibly busy week here at lake Wobegon, but Thursday evening I had a couple of hours to myself and I thought I'd record a couple of episodes of Grizelda. Recording Ch. 3 went just fine, until I went to save it and accidentally called it Ch. 4. Lo and behold, when I open the folder of Audacity projects, I discover that instead of asking me, the program went and overwrote the existing Ch. 4, which I had already recorded and put a lot of time into editing! Trying to fix it I ended up breaking the Ch. 3 that I had just recorded. About three hours of effort, vanished into the digital aether.

I went to the Podiobooks author help site to see if there was any way I could salvage the two chapters, and came across a forum post with this title: Always Back Up Your Files.

I've learned my lesson.

No comments: