Monday, April 28, 2008

How Not to Sound Like You're in a Tin Can 101

So, the brand-new microphone has arrived in the mail and I've been playing around with it. The sound is pretty nice; it reduces the background noise a lot. I haven't figured out how to get it to record in joint stereo, which is one of the Podiobooks requirements, but that's another matter. The first problem was that my voice still sounds like I'm inside the Coliseum with all the fans gone.

There's a bit of received wisdom on the Podiobooks community page that "parallel walls are your enemy." Anything you can do to soften the surfaces in your room, like curtains, upholstered furniture, will help get rid of that echoiness. One of those rubber rooms they use in sound laboratories would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any in the area. The next best thing: recording under the covers.

Yes, I threw a sheet over myself and tried recording the first chapter of Grizelda. The sound quality was great. I'm just glad I don't have a roommate right now. If she saw me in an old-style blanket fort yelling apparently to myself about goblins and seamstresses, I don't think she'd understand.

No comments: